Book Review: White Christmas by Rebecca York

White Christmas by Rebecca York is a novella with paranormal; aspects and abundant holiday cheer. The snow is coming down so fast, Amelia Parsons doesn't see the speeding car until it's too late. One moment she’s crossing an ice-rutted street in St. Stephens, Maryland. In the next, she's flying into the air, and the world goes black. She wakes, confused, in what appears to be Santa’s workshop during the holiday rush. If that’s not strange enough, a hunky FBI agent named Daniel is there, demanding to know why she’s involved in a plot to ruin Christmas. Can she convince him she's not the villain and then work with him to find the real saboteur?

White Christmas is a short story, which means need to happen quickly. Amelia is not allowed to freak about about the existence of Santa and all the trappings when she wakes up in the North Pole after getting hit by a car. The mystery of who is sabotaging the workshop is dealt with fairly quickly- though the why is never really answered for me. Similarly how Daniel ended up on assignment there, and how Amelia lands there, and how things all come together in the end, are equally glossed over. Sadly I felt like the attraction between Amelia and Daniel was weak, and their coming together did not feel real or right to me. I don't know. I was prepared to really love it, even if I waited to after Christmas to get around to it, but it was not what I was looking for. I expect much more character and relationship development from York, even in a novella.

No comments: