Book Review: Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

Daughter of the Pirate King is the first book in a series by Tricia Levenseller. When the ruthless Pirate King learns of a legendary treasure map hidden on an enemy ship, his daughter, Alosa, knows that there's only one pirate for the job—herself. Leaving behind her beloved ship and crew, Alosa deliberately facilitates her own kidnapping to ensure her passage on the enemy ship. After all, who's going to suspect a seventeen-year-old girl locked in a cell?Then she meets the (surprisingly perceptive and unfairly attractive) first mate, Riden, who is charged with finding out all her secrets. Now it's down to a battle of wits and will. Can Alosa find the map and escape before Riden figures out her plan?

Daughter of the Pirate King is a entertaining read that captured my attention right away. I liked Alosa's character; she is smart, resourceful, and very self-reliant. I thought the additional development to her character because of her father, the Pirate King, and the information that is slowly revealed about her nature is very well done. Riden is a more slowly revealed character, mainly because we do not see the world from his point of view. The interaction between Riden and Alosa is highly entertaining, sometimes frustrating, but I liked the consistent conflict between the two, even when they are getting along. The variety of pirates and actions that are shared in the book are really compelling and kept me enthralled in the story. I liked the adventure, mystery, and suspense of the plot. There were a good number of twists and turns that kept me on my toes and guessing about what might come next. My only issue with the book is that it is labeled as young adult, but I think the attraction and interaction between the pair are more mature than I would recommend for younger teens.

Daughter of the Pirate King is dubbed a young adult novel, but I would likely call it new adult instead based on the ages and the content. However, I think many young adults would enjoy the book. But with the mindset of a parent and library labeler, I just wanted to mention it for those looking to recommend books for younger readers. That being said, I loved the book and will be definitely looking for the second book of the series. 

No comments: