Book Review: Her Dark Half (X-Ops) by Paige Tyler

Her Dark Half is the seventh book in the X-Ops series by Paige Tyler. While there are parts of the story that you can only fully enjoy if you know the bigger picture, this romance can be enjoyed on its own as well. 

Trevor Maxwell is a coyote shifter with an attitude, a covert operator, and trusts no one, especially his devastatingly beautiful new partner. Alina Bosch is former CIA, the newest operative on the covert team, and hired to spy on her partner. They are teamed up to catch a killer. But when the mission becomes much more dangerous than they expected, they're going to have to ignore the attraction between them and learn how to trust one another to come out on the other side. 

Her Dark Half does a good just of looking at trust issues and partners. Trevor and Alina both have good reasons not to trust easily, and I think that part of the story, and their developing relationship is well done. However, somehow I just never really connected with either of them, and was more interested in the large corruption plot and the other relationships that were touched on in the story (Tanner's in particular). I did like that many of my questions about who did what were answered, and while some twists and turns were exceptional, I felt like others were just too easy. I think I might be done with this series, but I will admit wanting to know the outcome of some of the pairing I know will happen, but have not yet.

Her Dark Half is a good continuation to the larger story arch, which I was glad to see some serious movement on. However, I was not as engaged with the characters as I have been in previous books, and this is by no means the end of the series.I felt like it might have closed the book on part of the story, but there is a whole new angle for the series to continue on with. 

No comments: