Book Review: Unraveled (Whiskey Sharp) Lauren Dane

Unraveled is the first book in the Whiskey Sharp series Lauren Dane. Maybe Dolan is independent and free-spirited  since leaving home at sixteen. Whiskey Sharp, Seattle's sexy vintage-styled barbershop and whiskey bar, gave her a job and a reason to put down roots. Cutting hair by day, losing herself drumming in a punk rock band by night, she's got it good. But a longtime crush that turns into a hot, edgy night with brooding and bearded Alexsei Petrov makes it a hell of a lot better. Maybe's blunt attitude and carnal smile hooked Alexsei from the start. Protecting people is part of his nature and Maybe is meant to be his even if she doesn't know it. Yet. He can't help himself from wanting to protect and care for her. But Maybe's fiery independent spirit means pushing back when Alexsei goes too far. Still, he's not afraid to do a little pushing of his own to get what he wants her in his life, and his bed, for good. Maybe's more intoxicating than all the liquor on his shelf and he's not afraid to ride the blade's edge to bind her to him.

Unraveled starts as a slow burn, and quickly ramps up to so much more. Maybe and Alexsei were instantly attracted, but both avoiding the complications and issues that perusing each other could cause, until Maybe has had enough and decides it would be worth any backlash. I loved the journey of their relationship, and how much insight readers get into both characters, and the secondary characters that surround them. Maybe is a complicated character, and her family issues are a powerful aspect of the story. I love watching her stand up to everyone for everyone, but it broke my heart when she had trouble standing up against her parents. I loved the combination of protectiveness and respect that Alexsei shows towards the women in his life, and how thoughtful his is. The fact that both characters are strong, and have their own share of history makes them compelling and real. The banter and care they share was extremely well done. Maybe's family problems coming to roost was heart breaking, but left me wanting to know more. There has to be more, right? While I know there are horrible people, and parents, out there I hate to think about this type of dynamic happening in real life. The story stuck with me well after finishing the book, and I think it will be just as engaging and compelling for other readers as well.

Unraveled is an awesome start to the series, and has me chomping at the bit for more. Thankfully, I already have a copy via Netgalley on my Kindle waiting for me. The hard part will be not reading it right now, because that will make the third one seem so far away- and I know I will want more.

No comments: